Tuesday 9 April 2013

Zen verbiage and a recommendation

Right now, I am frustrated by a lot of what I read. The current horror genre décor has a Zen-like quality, somewhere between Ray Bradbury (no disrespect intended) and the interior decoration of one of those swanky restaurants that serve haute cuisine on exquisitely presented plates but ultimately a beggar's banquet with only three bite sized morsels that would not even satisfy a starving Ethiopian.

It leaves me quite frustrated as I enjoy words, and really don't want to have to fill in imagery and thoughts for the writer who omits them to please editorial fashion. (I'm a bit of a lazy reader.) As far as this new 'quiet horror' thing goes, it leaves me wishing Robert Aickman were still alive and writing.

That being said, I recently got a copy of Cemetery Dance with a view to submitting something, and the mix and style is just about perfect, so I'm going to recommend it if you also want a bit more verbiage and good variety. Here's a link...

No comments:

Post a Comment